Monday, October 27, 2008

Prop. 8

I usually keep my opinions to my self when it comes to the political mumble jumble! It opens way to many topics for long heated discussions. I can not sit back and not share my opinion with something so sacred to me! So here I am on my soap box giving these reasons why I say YES for proposition 8!

IF PROPOSITION 8 IS NOT PASSED:

Children in public schools will have to be taught that same-sex marriage is just as good as traditional marriage.

The California Education Code already requires that health education classes instruct children about marriage.

Therefore, unless Proposition 8 passes, children will be taught that marriage between any two adults is of the same worth, regardless of gender. There will be serious clashes between the secular school system and the right of parents to teach their children their own values and beliefs.


Churches may be sued over their tax exempt status if they refuse to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies in their religious buildings open to the public. Ask whether your pastor, priest, minister, bishop, or rabbi is ready to perform such marriages in your chapels and sanctuaries.

Religious adoption agencies will be challenged by government agencies to give up their long-held right to place children only in homes with both a mother and a father. Catholic Charities in Boston already had to stop providing adoption services in Massachusetts because courts legalized same-sex marriage there.

Religions that sponsor private schools with married student housing may be required to provide housing for same-sex couples, even if counter to church doctrine, or risk lawsuits over tax exemptions and related benefits.

Ministers who preach against same-sex marriages may be sued for hate speech and risk government fines. It already happened in Canada, a country that legalized gay marriage. A recent California court held that municipal employees may not say: "traditional marriage," or "family values" because, after the same-sex marriage case, it is "hate speech."

It will cost you money. This change in the definition of marriage will bring a cascade of lawsuits, including some already lost (e.g., photographers cannot now refuse to photograph gay marriages; doctors cannot now refuse to perform artificial insemination of gays even given other willing doctors). Even if courts eventually find in favor of a defender of traditional marriage (highly improbable given today's activist judges), think of the money – your money – that will be spent on such legal battles.
I hope we don't ever forget how sacred "Family" really is!


11 comments:

The Rindi's said...

Jenna I seriously was just talking to my sister in law about this 20 min ago. It's SO irritating that the government is allowed to even try to pass laws like this:( I hope lots of people see your blog so they can be informed (if they already arent) about this!!

On a happier note HSM3 was SO much fun!! We should all get together just to take jumping pics!!

Brittney said...

can I copy and paste this onto my site? It is worded so much better than I would be able to word it on my own.

missy said...

Jenna I haven't looked at your blog for a while I actually saw one of your comments on taras and thought I would leave a funny one on yours..then read a more serious post of yours!! Good for you! Of course I totally agree! Cute pic's of your kids! I can't believe your baby is potty training!

jaclyn anderson said...

How scary Jenna! I was just reading the visiting teaching message and it was about gender roles and how important it is to have a man and a woman together because they compliment each other! Thats the only way to be to fulfill Gods plan of happiness! How true!

thebellcrew said...

Jenna I completely agree. I am not one to really get involved political things as well but as I have learned more and more about prop 8 I would have to agree with you!

brittany said...

AHhh!! Jenna! The 6 points you posted (that actually someone else wrote) have no factual basis. It was posted anonymously by someone in CA that has no sited references. A commentary (from a mormon point of view) that has actual has sited evidence to support why each of those points you just made are completely incorrect is listed below. Please be so carefull when you copy stuff from the internet, I'm not trying to change your point of view, but you should at least base it on factual evidence. Which is that Prop 8 will not affect you or any other heterosexual. But look how you've furthered a document that has no truth to it. Plus this is the beauty of this country, we have a separation of church and state, and this why even as the law stands in California now, the goverment had no say on what churches can and cannot do, meaning no one is going to force a church to perform a same sex marriage if it against their belief system.

http://www.mormonsformarriage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mat-responses-to-six-consequences-if-prop-8-fails-rev-1-1.pdf

http://mormonsformarriage.com/?p=35

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgbmjj9g_3cppnnzjm

Jenna Johnson said...

I do not claim to write any of this, I have a link post to where I got all this! And as far as this being inaccurate information of course people are going to come back 10 fold to try to make a strong point wrong!

brittany said...

That doesn't make any sense... If the so called 'strong point' is correct then it should have some factual basis or references to back it up. If it is incorrect than its because it is FALSE. If you read the actual
Proposition you can clearly see that these '6 points' don't exist within it. Besides I fail to see how a gay man or woman is a threat to a heterosexual marriage if they are gay they are not going to pro-create anyway, so it's not a threat to the 'traditional family' or marriage. The passing of this proposition would hurt more people than it help and I think it's easy to recall people's actions of Civil Rights in the 60s and understand how this is inevitable change. If it's not solved now the fight will continue until there is a change and I expect easily to see that in our lifetime.

brittany said...

Well anyhow I agree to disagree. I guess my main point is that just because it's posted on a website doesn't mean it's truth. I just try to do my best to see both sides and wade to the propaganda for the truth.

Jenna Johnson said...

yes I agree to disagree...but I do have to say, I have seen all the evidence to back this up, but with all this aside, I want you to know I see where you are coming from on every single point, maybe it's just something inside me that I feel it's wrong...obviously it doesn't hurt me at all, people can do what they need to do but I feel it takes away my right to decide how I want to teach my children, it may take awhile to hit Utah but I feel once this is passed in California it will set the trend for the rest the country. It's really not about me it's what I feel is right for my children. I will teach them tolerance and I would hope you would know I am that person to accept everybody, even if I don't agree with what they do!

jaclyn anderson said...

Touché Jenna. Jaclyn had me read your Prop 8 post and the related comments and I couldn't agree with you more. It is important to protect the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, and teach our children that marriage is just that...the uniting of a man and a woman. Thanks for being bold in your post.
-Ben Anderson